Reshared post from +Jim Fawcette
Don't Buy Mobile Phone Insurance
SFGate.com's James Temple does a follow-up on his stolen cell phone and explains why getting insurance isn't worthwhile.
* Deductibles are high, such as AT&T's $199 for the iPhone
* You're not guaranteed a true replacement even with insurance. "Replacement equipment may, at our option, be refurbished equipment or different equipment of like kind and quality."
* Cracked displays may not be covered.
* Loss due to nuclear war isn't covered (really! both fission and fusion)
* If the carrier doesn't provide adequate coverage, you've signed away your right to sue.
Temple: "Instead of buying insurance, Consumer Reports recommends that consumers hold onto their previous phone and simply switch back for the remaining term of the contract in the case of a loss. "
I take it back: Don’t insure cell phone
Earlier this month, I described the unhappy experience of losing my iPhone mid-contract and learning I’d have the privilege of paying $450 for a replacement. In the concluding paragraphs, I state…
Post imported by Google+Blog for WordPress.